Museums
& History
Visitors have been drawn to the cool clear waters of Green Lake for centuries. The history of this unique area runs deep.
The village of Dartford was platted in 1847 and named for Anson Dart who came to the area in 1840. By the late 19th century, Green Lake became a popular summer resort destination with grand estates and hotels along the shoreline. The village changed its name to Green Lake in 1907 to better reflect the area’s identity which had increasingly been tied to the lake itself. Step back in time and explore Green Lake’s rich history on this historic tour through Green Lake’s past.
The lake with a color that resembled “a gem of jade” came to be as glaciers melted creating our landscape which is as diverse as the waters that melted here, creating “low sandy beaches, perpendicular cliffs, rocks, swamps, troughs and ridges.”
The Winnebago Tribe began to settle in the Green Lake Area. The Winnebago Native Americans believed that Daycholah (the Native name for Green Lake) was the home to the Water Spirit, making it a very important place to worship and celebrate.
A treaty from the United States government, signed by the tribe ceded their lands east of the Fox Rivers and most Natives in the area were forcibly relocated to Native reservations. Within fifty years, more than half of the Natives who left the Green Lake area had passed away from Smallpox.
The first white settler arrives in Green Lake
The area begins to have a sizable settler population, and Anson Dart and John Sherwood begin to plot “The Village of Dartford” which would later become Green Lake.
The Village of Dartford becomes the County seat
The first summer resort, Oakwood Lodge, was built by David Greenway. It is believed to be the first summer resort West of Niagara Falls. Other resorts soon followed.
Trains begin taking visitors from as far away as New Orleans and Philadelphia, where families would rent cottages for the entire summer season
Chief Highknocker, the last Winnebago chief in the area passes away at the age of 91 in a tragic swimming accident in the Fox River
Most of the large wooden hotels are destroyed by fire or torn down. Only a few original cottages exist today.
Visitors continue to be drawn to the cool inviting waters of Green Lake. The waters of Green Lake play host to every water sport imaginable like fishing, boating, sailing, swimming, diving or just simply floating. Together, the visitors and residents of Green Lake can enjoy the area’s abundant nature and wildlife.
Historical Tour of Green Lake
Click on the location markers on the map for the history about each downtown Green Lake building.
552 Mill St
(Depot Museum)
The Fond du Lac-Sheboygan Railroad Company built this depot in 1872 located along the railroad line north of the current Hwy 23. It served as a depot until 1899, and was then relocated to what is now known as Robinhood Estates and converted to a summer cottage and later a horse stable. It was moved to it's current site and opened on July 4, 1976—the National Bicentennial—as a museum.
Playground Park & Green Lake Dam
This park was the site of the Dart & Sherwood planning mill and later a grist mill. Victor Lawson, founder of Associated Press and owner of Chicago Daily News, bought and rebuilt the dam to maintain the lake level at his Lone Tree Farm estate (now Green Lake Conference Center). In the 1930's, the WPA (Works Progress Administration) and the Twentieth Century Club, a women's club, improved the site for a park.
529 Mill St
(Now Adashun Jones Real Estate)
This building was home to a telephone service managed by George Thrasher and his wife, Jennie, "the telephone lady". They also operated a grocery store named Thrasher Store in the rear of the building, which sold ice cream made from a horse-powered machine.
530 Mill St.
(Now Emmer Real Estate Group)
In 1902 the Green Lake State Bank opened on this site and continued until 1961. The bank temporarily occupied space in Eaton's Market before this building was completed. After the bank moved, doctor's offices, gift and jewelry shops and art stores occupied the space. This building remains much as it looked when built. The vault inside and the stained glass window remain intact.
526 Mill St.
(Now KDR Wood Design Co.)
This building was built by Cassius Eaton about 1900 as Eaton's Grocery and Meat Market. Mr. Eaton had been a cattle buyer for many years. Over the years this building housed a bakery, a coffee shop, a variety store, clothing store, hardware and appliance store and an art shop. The Eaton family also built a home in 1901 across the street at 535 Mill Street.
518 Mill St
(Now Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Special Properties)
This building was established in 1869 as a general store that operated for over 100 years by three generations of the Brooks family. Groceries and dry goods were available in the store. Hanging bananas and sausages are memories held by some
local residents. The back of the store was a meeting place to talk or play checkers for the men of the town.
492 Hill St.
(Now Town Square Community Center)
This building was built in 1898 to replace the 1863 courthouse. It was designed by architect William Waters, a renowned Oshkosh architect who also designed the 1893 Wisconsin Building at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago. It was placed on the National and State Register in 1981 and the Local Register in 1999. The cupola was blown off by a "cyclone" in 1914.
467 Hill St.
(Now a Private Residences)
This is the oldest documented building standing in Green Lake. Built in 1851, The Methodist congregation held services in this building until 1948. At that time the Methodist Church joined with the Congregational and Baptist churches to form the Federated Church of Green Lake which is still active today. The parsonage next door to the east is now two apartments.
493 Hill St.
(Now Johnson & Black)
Built in 1881 by Velorus Root, a pioneer settler, the Dartford Hotel provided lodging for county board members. After housing an ice cream parlor, dry goods store and restaurant, it became Eaton's Market, operated by Henry Eaton. He opened one of the first self-service meat markets in Wisconsin in the 1940's at this location.
511 Mill St.
(Now GEAR.)
This building operated continuously as a hardware business from 1898 until 2010. The Francis Spencer family moved to Dartford after spending summers at Oakwood Hotel Resort. They built this building with a store and upper apartment. Items sold were: hardware, ranges, furnaces, paints, oils and brushes. They also did furnace work, general tin and galvanized iron work.
509 Mill St.
(Now Sassafras Coffee)
For 50 years beginning in 1898 Oscar Duescher operated a shop in this building, known as the Thrasher building. During the early years the shop specialized in harnesses. After automobiles were introduced it became a shoe sales and repair shop. The second floor served as a dance hall and a meeting place for community organizations including the Town of Brooklyn.
501 Mill St.
(Dartford Historical Society)
This building was built in 1981 and donated to the City of Green Lake as a public library by philanthropist Thomas Caestecker. The building was returned to Mr. Caestecker when a new library was opened and he then presented this building as a gift to the Dartford Historical Society in 1994, housing exhibits and an archival library of local history.
506 Mill St.
(Now Thrasher Opera House)
Built by Charlie Thrasher in 1910, the Opera House served as a community center for civic activities, dances, performances, basketball games and meetings. Movies were added when electricity came to the village in 1912. A manufacturing business for advertising items, a boat dealership, and educational materials business later occupied this building.
501 South St.
(Now North Bay Sport & Liquor)
Built in the 1860's, this building opened as Ezra Whiting Livery providing horse transportation for passengers to and from the railroad depot as well as rental of horses, carriages and omnibuses, a hearse for funerals, and buggy and wagon repair. Later it operated as a car dealership, filling station and auto repair shop. For several years it served as the Greyhound bus stop.
Deacon Mills Park
This park was a gift from Hattie Mills in memory of her father Jason C. "Deacon" Mills, the operator of a Civil War era hotel formerly located on the southeast corner of Mill and Hill St. A bandstand was built in the park in 1950 and dedicated to Bob Malcolm, a local musician who taught at the Green Lake High School. The park has been home to concerts, plays, movies, craft fairs and community events.
497 S. Lawson Dr.
(Now McConnell Inn)
This Queen Anne style home was built in 1900 for John and Josephine McConnell. The house was bought and sold several times and at one point was used as a rooming house. Today it is a bed and breakfast. The original design of the main structure has not been altered through its many years, however an addition has been added to the rear.
Norton's Dock & Marina
Built and operated by John Norton and his four sons, Norton's Dock and Marina were located here from the 1880's until the 1970's. A fleet of steamboats stationed at the dock conveyed people around the lake before roads were established. The Norton's also had a contract with the US Post Office for a marine mail route. They used their wooden Chris Craft boats to deliver mail.
Visit our
Historical Museums
Operated by the Dartford Historical Society, these museums preserve the heritage of our special community–telling a complete story of people and nature in our area, background as well as details, and showing history as a continuing movement of yesterday, today and tomorrow. The Society hopes to provide each visitor, from the youngest to the oldest, with a feeling of participation and pride in this flow of history.
Dartford Historical Society
Hours: Wednesdays 9am to 4pm and Saturdays 10am to noon.
Depot Museum
Hours: Saturdays 10am to 1pm, Memorial Day to Labor Day
local legends
It's important to understand something about the community and the people who lived here — whose names were on the front page and whose weren’t, but were actually the people who got a lot done.
Larry Behlen
Fond du Lac native Larry Behlen moved to Green Lake in 1973 for his job as the UW Extension County 4H Youth and Development Agent.
The following year, he was recruited to volunteer at the Dartford Historical Society which had just been gifted the original Fond du Lac and Sheboygan Railroad depot to use as a museum.
“I started volunteering on Sunday afternoons, sorting through local history materials at the museum,” he says. “It was only supposed to be for a couple of hours, but all of a sudden it would be getting dark.”
The rest, as they say, is history. Behlen has served on the Dartford Historical Society board for nearly 50 years and today serves as president of the organization reflecting the community’s original name.
Visitors to the Depot Museum (554 Mill St.) and Dartford Historical Society (501 Mill St.) can access local history exhibits and a collection of nearly 7,000 artifacts, newspapers, maps, photographs, community records and family letters.
“We have a wealth of resources for people to search out information about Green Lake’s past.”
you might also like